How to Choose Among Numerous Narrative Essay Topics?
A personal narrative essay is supposed to describe a significant life experience. In this type of essay, you can get really personal and tell your own story. Such an essay should contain characters, a plot, and a conflict. You should be able to make your essay captivating by involving the potential reader in your story. That’s why it’s better to write about something you feel truly passionate about so that you can incorporate genuine emotions and numerous particulars into your writing. You are free to expose your beliefs, values, and qualities, giving your readers a chance to evaluate your personality. Many tutors use narrative essays to assess the overall potential of their students, as well as their mindset, knowledge, and skills.
For some students, the freedom of choice may be a serious challenge. You may become stressed out when it’s up to you to make a decision that will determine the quality of your writing.
So, how do you make the right choice when you have to deal with this kind of assignment? To begin with, think about significant events from your life. Select one memory and try to describe it in as many interesting details as possible to build a captivating narrative. Here is a list of 100 narrative essay topics that might be inspirational and help you come up with your own unique idea.
- The most wonderful childhood memory
- My first day at college/school
- The luckiest day of my life
- My worst day ever
- My favorite teacher
- How I met my best friend
- People who seriously impacted my life
- How I became friends with my teacher
- People who inspire me
- How I lost a close friend
- How someone I didn’t like at first became my good friend
- The biggest fight with my best friend
- My unforgettable experience of camping with friends
- My most unforgettable family vacation
- A time when something really bad happened during a trip
- How traveling changed my personality and influenced my life
- The craziest adventure in my life
- How I experienced a significant historical event
- An experience that shaped my life
- The most exciting music event I’ve experienced
- The best place I’ve seen
- How I got my first pet
- My childhood dream that came true
- How I fulfilled someone’s dream
- My childhood heroes and how they shaped me
- A childhood experience that made me grow up
- My most memorable birthday party
- The most disappointing party in my life
- How social media changed my life
- A post on Facebook I wish I’ve never written
- How I lived without social media for a month
- How I composed my first poem/short story
- My first little invention
- My biggest accomplishment
- How I started my own project
- How I conquered my greatest fear
- How I overcame my phobia
- The most overwhelming decision in my life
- How I overcame depression
- How I earned my first money
- My experience of living on my own
- How I judged someone by their appearance and was completely wrong about that person
- How my principles saved my life
- A time when I rebelled against injustice
- Qualities that help me in life
- My most exciting performance
- My most hilarious karaoke experience
- How doing sports transformed me?
- How I started eating healthy
- A story about giving up sweets and junk food
- How I became a vegetarian
- My experience as a leader of the group
- How I handled my first speech
- My method of dealing with stressful situations
- The moment I realized that I was growing up
- How I realized that someone wants to be like me
- The advice I would give to my younger self
- How I fell in love for the first time
- My experience of participating in a charity event
- How I adopted a stray dog
- My experience as an animal shelter volunteer
- How I witnessed a great act of kindness
- My experience of dealing with bullies at school
- What would I do if I won a million dollars
- The hardest experience which was totally worth it in the end
- How I saved someone from getting hurt
- How I avoided getting seriously, hurt
- How I called the police and helped another person
- My first encounter with the police
- How I faced racial discrimination
- The day I faced a natural disaster
- How a complete stranger changed my life
- How I got lost in a new city
- My first heartbreak
- A story about the most disastrous date I’ve ever had
- Things my older brother taught me
- The book that impressed me the most
- My first time away from home
- My first trip abroad
- How I broke a bone
- A very spooky experience
- The weirdest thing I’ve ever experienced
- The most embarrassing experience I will never forget
- A sad experience with a close person
- My most dangerous experience in life
- The most disastrous thing that happened in class
- How I survived an extremely hot summer day
- The day my parents shocked me
- The worst fight with my father
- A situation that changed the relationship with my parents
- How I found out that I will have a sibling
- How my biggest secret got revealed
- How someone found my diary
- How I realized that someone hides the truth
- A moral choice I regret the most
- Three days without Internet access
- An interesting story about waiting inline
- The most meaningful conversation in my life
- I never thought I would feel such emotions
100. The day when I decided to change my life
Even the tiniest event is enough to provide a plot for a captivating story. However, a truly good narrative should be enlightening and convey some meaning. If it comes to this type of essay, the writer is supposed to teach the readers, introduce a lesson learned. Your real-life example serves an illustration of your point of view.
Recommendations on How to Write a Brilliant Narrative Essay
How is a narrative essay different from a rhetorical essay? Remember: narrative essays are supposed to give the readers lively emotional descriptions. Your work should be well structured and include all the essential components. These helpful tips will aim you in the right direction.
Prewriting phase is when you make your first step and select the topic. This stage is crucial, as it will determine the outcome of your work. Write about something important and memorable in order to come up with a truly compelling story.
After you decide on your personal narrative topic, think about the major details you would like to include in your story: events, characters, meaningful specifics. Make an outline of what will happen in your narrative.
Don’t overuse complex or abstruse words as it may confuse the readers. Use simple informative descriptions that will convey the message and its meaning. Besides, avoid inserting all narrative ideas into one paragraph. Instead, spread your ideas throughout the whole narrative.
Don’t write in a cold and clinical manner – imagine that you are sharing this story with your friends and make your descriptions vivid. This is the only way to fully engage readers.
Use the 1st person
Make your story autobiographical – after all, this is the main idea of a personal narrative essay. It means that you should write in the first person, as though everything was happening at the same moment. In this case, readers are likely to connect with the main character – you.
Edit your story
Make sure to revise your narrative after you finish writing. Revising provides an opportunity to make corrections or add something that might be worth mentioning. Don’t miss this step, and you will surely improve an entire story. Reread the narrative and consider if:
- There is a smooth transition from one event to another
- Your story may actually be interesting to read
- The narrative is likely to encourage readers to read it to the end
- The descriptions of all the main characters and events are vivid enough
- The main message of your narrative is clear and has meaning
If every answer is positive, it’s a very good start, and your narrative essay has all the chances to be well-written and captivate the readers.
Writing narrative essays is something that every high school or college student must deal with. Selecting a topic for your paper is the most crucial step in such an assignment. It might not be easy, but if you take your time and reflect on the possible topics – the right idea will come into sight. If you feel truly passionate about your story, the result will be exceptional, and you will be surprised in a good way! Don’t take shortcuts and avoid using the first idea that pops into your head – the outcome may not be as good as you would like. If you have any doubts, it’s better to change the topic than to understand you are stuck with something unpromising when the deadline is near. Take the process with responsibility and choose wisely.
Feel free to contact professional writers if you need help with your assignment. High-quality work is guaranteed.